If you have a microwave, you know that it can be one of those things you just never remember to clean. Until you need to warm something up, and you open it only to find the ugly truth concerning your dirty microwave.
It doesn’t really take much to make a microwave dirty. Every time you cook something in there or warm up some food, there is a possibility of leaving it very dirty, and you may not even know it.
Here are some ways to clean your microwave
How to clean a microwave
Use of Steam
If you happen to have some stubborn dirt in the microwave, the trick is to loosen it up with some steam.
It is very simple. Since the microwave will work by heating the water in food, microwave a simple solution of vinegar and water. Use one tablespoon of vinegar in a bowl of water, and turn on the microwave for about a minute.
If the minute doesn’t work, keep microwaving till the inside becomes steamy. The steam will make the splatters soft and easy to remove. The vinegar will also work wonders by cutting through any grease in the microwave.
Once it is steamy and soft, wipe it down with a clean cloth, and the dirt will just come off like magic. Pay special attention to the door, as it is a popular grease area that may be easy to overlook.
The rotating dish can then be removed and cleaned separately but very carefully under running water. Ensure to rinse off all the soap, and while it dries, clean up the place that it sits on with some soapy water.
The rubber seal
This is an area around the microwave door that is easily forgettable. It is however very easy to clean with a damp sponge. Use water only so the rubber doesn’t get damaged by cleaning detergents.
How to clean your microwave without vinegar
You can also clean your microwave daily without using vinegar. The procedure is very simple;
- Get a clean sponge and make it completely wet. You must ensure it is completely saturated with water, then place it in the microwave.
- Next, fill a spray bottle with water, and add a few drops of lemon oil. You then spray the inside of the microwave with the lemon water and ensure to spray it all over. The top, bottom, outside, and even the sides.
- Set your microwave to two minutes and start it up. When the time elapses, the microwave will go off. Leave the sponge for a few minutes to cool down. Once it has cooled down, use it to wipe off all the gunk and grime from your microwave.
- Use the same sponge for the outside, and it will work wonders for you.
Ensuring your Microwave remains clean
So, what can you do to ensure it remains clean?
Prevent spills in the microwave
This is pretty simple, you just need to cover your food whenever you cook it in the microwave or warm it. You can use a plastic wrap or a paper towel. When food is heating up quick, it can pop and splatter all over, when you cover it up, it keeps the spills to a minimum, making it easy for you to wipe it off.
Wipe it as you do your chores
Put it in your list of duties on a daily basis as you clean your kitchen. This is very easy. Since it is on the countertop, as you wipe up the counter, open it and clean on the inside as well every day.
Because the microwave is closed, we tend to forget to open it and see that it’s also dirty, and therefore putting it on your to-do list ensures you clean it as often as possible.
How to deodorize your microwave
- If you constantly find your microwave has a terrible smell, try the following;
- Add 1 tablespoon to a bowl of water
- Place a lemon on microwave place and heat up the vinegar water,
- Remove the water but continue heating up the water,
- Stop the timer and add one tablespoon of baking soda to the water and keep heating.
- Add one tablespoon of bottled lemon juice.
This process will leave your microwave with a great smell.
- Never microwave food in sealed containers. This is because the seam within the container will keep expanding and may cause explosions that can be very messy and hard to clean. Remember this can even cause accidents.
- Cover the food with a cling film and pierce a few holes for the air to escape and avoid spills in the microwave.
- Never ever use foil in the microwave as this will cause an explosion. Also, avoid using any other types of metals in the microwave.
- Vegetable skins should always be pierced with a skewer to or a fork before cooking.
- Use oven mitts to remove hot liquids from the microwave.
- You can also use a measuring cup that has a wide opening when you need to heat water in the microwave.
- While heating something in the microwave, stay clear of the door.
In order for your microwave to last a long time, always ensure you take good care of it. Simple steps such as closing the door when done, wiping it off as often as possible, avoiding non-microwave friendly materials will work great for you.
Keep the microwave away from children and when cleaning it, always take good care of the inner glass as it can easily break. Replacement of this glass is almost impossible, and if you find it, it may be just as expensive as buying a new microwave.
Cleaning it on a daily basis will not only make it look good and last long but will also ensure your family is maintaining hygienic procedures that will protect you from sickness and diseases caused by the dirty micro-organisms.
A microwave is one of the most convenient machines in every household, therefore ensure you maintain it well so you can enjoy its services for a long period of time. See top rated countertop microwaves in this post: https://kitchenlola.com/best-countertop-microwaves-with-reviews/